Latest update on Manila Hostage Drama
President Benigno Simeon "Noynoy" Aquino III said Friday he is taking full responsibility for the bungled handling of the August 23 Manila hostage crisis that claimed the lives of eight tourists from Hong Kong.
"At the end of the day, I am responsible for everything that has transpired," Aquino said in an interview with reporters in Manila.
The President made the statement in defense of Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo, who faces possible grilling from the Commission on Appointments on the outcome of the hostage-taking incident. The Philippine National Police, which handled the hostage crisis, is an attached agency of the DILG.
On Thursday, Senator Francis Escudero said Robredo might have a hard time in getting the nod of the bicameral body because of his poor handling of the hostage incident.
Escudero said Robredo will have to explain why there was a need to divide the functions of the DILG, making it difficult to handle the hostage tragedy.
Pinoys, Chinese unite in HK rally over hostage tragedy
source:GMANews.TV - Monday, August 30
Filipino and Chinese groups on Sunday were united in a rally and prayer vigil in Hong Kong over the botched hostage rescue on Aug. 23, which resulted in the deaths of eight Hong Kong residents.
Filipino community leaders and Philippine Consulate officials agreed the joint activities have so far been “peaceful", amid fears of a clash among Filipinos and Chinese nationals as emotions continue to run high over the tragedy. Tens of thousands of Hong Kong residents marched along the city’s streets past 3 p.m. Sunday to express their anger over how the Philippine government, particularly police authorities, handled the hostage tragedy.
Read More http://ph.news.yahoo.com/gma/20100829/tph-pinoys-chinese-unite-in-hk-rally-ove-d6cd5cf.html
Rolando Mendoza Hostage Taking in Manila